Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Blog # 2: National Pro-Life Chalk Day

     On February 6, 2014 National Pro-Life Chalk Day impacted many sidewalks with their pro-life messages. I learned about this event through an email and I decided that it was easy, cheap, and something that could really have an impact. I go to a public school in which the worldly desires overcome those of morality at times. I knew that leaving a pro-life message on the floor would at the very least awake the issue of abortion in some students' lives even if just for a second. I first made sure to research my legal rights in order to avoid an unpleasant confrontation with the school.
     I gathered my chalk and my friends and headed out to my high school on February 5th at around 5:30 p.m. to begin chalking. It was a pretty thrilling and exciting experience to feel like we were doing something different for a change. It felt good to stand up for what I believed in. We avoided chalking on the campus but we made sure to write on the most heavily walked sidewalks around school. We did a lot of small drawings but we also did some big writings. We all left feeling pretty accomplished that night at about 7:30 p.m.
     I could barely sleep that night imagining what would happen the next day! Overall we did not hear any comments about what was written on the sidewalk. I had honestly expected to hear a lot more talk about the chalk on the campus but I heard none. Then the unthinkable happened; it started to sprinkle and later to rain. It hardly rains in Anaheim and I was honestly disappointed to have the rain wash away our work. My dad brought up my spirits by telling me, "Even if you impacted one person, it was all worth it." He was right. I know that we made a difference and in the end that's all that matters.The school better prepare themselves to see our writing soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment